Sunday, November 6, 2011

2nd Weekend Learning

There were several good "take aways" for me this weekend.  I really liked the time we spent with Lara Justmann.  She provided a realistic view of the administrator.  I enjoyed the thought provoking situations she provided us to work through.  I have spent a good portion of my time discussing schedule making with my mentor this semester so I felt that I could contribute well to the conversation and be able to evaluate what people were saying.  I appreciated her honesty in discussing the amount of time it takes to do the job especially how she  accomplishes her work at home.  As a band director I am always staying after school, arriving early, and giving weekends so I protect my home time as much as possible.  I am hoping this philosophy works for me as an administrator.

I also appreciated that Adam Tjeersma (sp?) gave up his Sunday morning to talk to our class.  He provided a lot of good relevant information to our class.  His views on interviewing were good; however, I am not sure that being the first interviewer is the best.  Although he did qualify that you really need to know your information if you are the first one to interview for a job.  I thought his use of google docs was good.  He figured out a way to save himself time and allow him to focus on the more important aspects of his job.  It has already got me thinking about ways that I can use it in my own job to save time and how it could be used as an administrator.

At this point I feel that I need some more time to process our time with Jason Glass.  I appreciated that he gave up a Sunday morning to spend with us and that he was very candid in his responses.  I look to blog more about my thoughts with him later in the week.

1 comment:

  1. Joe,
    I too enjoyed and am thankful for Lara and Adam's candid discussions. I am somewhat concerned about how to juggle the job and family effectively. No one can say we went into the job ignorant as to the time required. I am also needing more time to process the blueprint after having Jason Glass visit. Some things seem logical and others just don't.

    ReplyDelete