I really enjoyed our class today. There were many practical elements related to management that helped me to see that side of the administrator. The activities I enjoyed the most were the classroom placement scenario, the Franklin Covey exercise, and interview questions activity. There were several other activities as well, but these really hit home for me.
The classroom placement scenario was really beneficial because our group entered into a quality dialogue and problem solved through the scenario. It was great to bounce ideas off of each other and see what other people were thinking. In the end, we were able to agree on what we believed was the best solution and even began to think about how it would look next year.
The Franklin Covey exercise was good for me because it showed me the big picture of the day. Sometimes I struggle with prioritizing activities because I want to get little things taken care to focus on the big ones, but that can put me way behind on the really important issues. Being able to see the whole day and the activities shows me that there is a finite space that I have to be able to accomplish what needs to be achieved. It also shows me many of the activities that an administrative assistant can accomplish.
The interview questions activity was great because we got to see so many different approaches to interviews and begin to see what is important throughout our cohort. We also now have a Google doc that we can refer to in the future as we start interviewing teaching candidates.
This day was exactly what I was looking for. It was a very practical hands on approach to school management with lots of group discussion and covered many of the important nuts and bolts of the job.
Joe,
ReplyDeleteI too appreciated the activities of today's learning! I thought the most helpful for me was the group discussions around interviewing that were generated. There are so many good questions that could be asked in an interview to narrow the perspective down is imperative. I liked the way we processed that activity.
I liked the practical hands on approach to school management too with lots of group discussion that happened. I like being able to see/hear others ideas and perspectives. I especially appreciated how this really did bring into closure what we have been learning in this class. It was a good day for sure!